I can't believe I have a child in Kindergarten! I've been weirdly emotional about this recently, especially given that she doesn't actually go any where to school (unless you count the kitchen table).
I decided to start school a little early (June) for a couple of reasons. First, Abigail asked me every day if we could start school yet. Second, I wanted to take a couple of months off when we go stateside this December. So this schedule lets us take a couple of months off in the States and still finish Kindergarten next May before heading back to Asia.
We have finished our second week of homeschooling and we are having fun so far! I ended up choosing Sonlight curriculum which is very reading-based. No matter the subject, the lessons often involve looking at a book together or me reading to her. Abigail loves to be read to, so it has been a good fit so far. Our first read-aloud (me reading to her) was The Boxcar Children, which was one of my favorite childhood books! She has done really well with the focused one-on-one-with-Mommy time.
Abigail has really started reading well over the last couple of months. It started with something to do while I was recovering on the couch from my sprained ankle. She read to me every day for a month, and has gotten much more confident. On our recent plane ride, she read a book to me for most of the trip.
This is what Abigail looks like when it's time to start school:
And this is what Mayah looks like:
Just kidding, she doesn't look that bored all the time. As an almost-four year old, she currently gets to pick and choose the things she participates in. Most of the time, she just colors or plays nearby. I'm honestly not sure if she listens in or not. She especially likes math, mostly because it often involves some type of game or activity. My main goal for Mayah this year is to get her excited about starting Kindergarten next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment