In order to get things accomplished in another culture, it often involves a little persuading. I try to never take the first "no" as an answer. Maybe I just need to rephrase my question in hopes of a different answer, or maybe I can persuade them to say "yes." Sometimes no amount of persuading works. Other times I get lucky.
Last month I was in the big city with Abby. The day I was scheduled to fly back home, I decided to go to Pizza Hut and pick up a pizza (to carry on the plane with me and later eat for dinner). So I entered Pizza Hut and told the waitress I wanted a pepperoni pizza. This is where the problem began. She tells me they can't make me a pepperoni pizza. Why not? Because it's not on the menu. As I look on the menu, I noticed it has changed recently. I no longer see the American pizza (American=pepperoni), and I also notice that the Create-your-own pizza option is no longer listed. Hmmm. So I politely ask the waitress to ask and see if they will make me a pepperoni pizza anyway. She returns momentarily to tell me it's not possible. Not possible? That's weird, I tell her. Do you have pizza? Do you have pepperoni? Then it is possible to make me a pepperoni pizza! She tries to encourage me to order the supreme pizza. The supreme pizza has pepperoni, but it also has shrimp and corn on it. I don't want that. What if I order the supreme pizza, but instead of putting all those toppings, just put pepperoni, and only pepperoni? Why don't you go and ask your boss again? I try everything I can think of to persuade her that she can sell me a pepperoni pizza. Finally, I decide that my persuasive powers are not working. At that point I know if we continue to discuss this, I will end up getting mad. So I give up and leave Pizza Hut, disappointed.
Yesterday after class, the weather was really warm and I walked to the school gate thinking about Sonic. A cherry limeade (with the tiny crunchable ice) sounded really good. I decided to try and find my own "Sonic" in our town. I had recently tried a blueberry lemonade from a smoothie shop, and I really wanted to see what other drinks they had. I asked the waitress if she could make me a strawberry lemonade. She said no, there was no strawberry. So I started asking questions to find out what my options were. Do you have lemonade? Yes. She tells me they also have watermelon. Ok, so can I have watermelon lemonade? No, she tells me. Those flavors won't taste good together. After several minutes of asking about different options, she tells me she actually does have strawberry and I could have strawberry juice. So I clarify, just to make sure I understand. I could have strawberry juice. I could have lemonade. Why not combine the two flavors and give me strawberry lemonade? She tells me she can't do that because it won't taste good. I tell her it will taste really good and that's what I want to order. She finally agreed to make me a strawberry lemonade. It was so wonderful. I tasted it in front of her and told her it actually tasted great, and that this drink is popular in America. She couldn't believe it. I left my newly discovered "Sonic" feeling victorious. Sometimes it actually does help to be a little persuasive.
No comments:
Post a Comment