The past few months,
we have settled into an international church here that has a dual-language
service. It has been great for our
family. The kids like the Sunday
School class especially. For a few
weeks leading up to Mother’s Day, though, Sunday School time turned into choir
practice. The kids were learning a
song to sing in front of the church on Mother’s Day. My shy little 4 year-old decided that she was too little to
learn this song. So she just kind
of sat there during Sunday School each week and listened as the kids practiced
the song about 30 times. (Even
though the song was in English, our girls are the only white faces in the group
so they aren’t completely comfortable yet!)
Well, I decided to
try to work on the song a little at home, just to see what would happen. So I would sing it a few times a
day. Pretty soon, I started to
hear Mayah singing it as she played by herself. As Mother’s Day approached, I asked Abigail if she wanted to
sing with the other kids in church.
Her response was always that she would sit with me in the audience, but
since Mayah could sing the song she thought Mayah should go onstage and sing by
herself.
Mother’s Day
came. The kids paraded out of
Sunday School and up to the stage.
Abigail whispers to me, “Mommy, I am going to help Mayah go up onstage to
sing. Then I will come and sit
with you.” But as she sat there,
watching her sister be brave, she decided to be a little brave herself. She went up on stage with the other
kids! And then proceeded to boss
her sister around (“Mayah, clap your hands!”) while Mayah actually sang the
song!
I was really proud of
both of them for getting up on that stage. I told them it was the greatest present they could have
given me. I know my kids (Abigail
especially) are super shy in this culture, but little things like this are so
good for them.
They were the stars
of the show. I think every eye was
on them. And they ended up loving
it!
No comments:
Post a Comment