May 15, 2012

I really hope it was a sunflower seed.


When we are overseas, one of the things I miss most is going to the movies.  On our last stateside, we went to the movies at least twice a month, or whenever someone volunteered to babysit our kids.  It’s one of those things I just enjoy doing.  When we lived in China, there was no movie theater that showed any English movies.  We would either wait until the movies came out on DVD, or see a movie in Bangkok once a year. 

I was really excited to find out that there is a movie theater here that actually shows movies.  In English.  For only $2.25 a ticket. 


So Nick and I drove down to the theater one afternoon just to check it out.  We’d heard that The Hunger Games was playing, and wanted to see what the times were.  The girl at the ticket counter told me that it was only playing one more day.  So the next afternoon, we enjoyed our first date night afternoon since moving here. 


I went to the grocery store and bought some snacks for the movie—Goldfish crackers and Oreos.  I never buy Goldfish crackers here—they are kind of expensive and so I try to forget they are there.  But it was a special occasion. 

I wasn’t sure what to expect at this movie theater, but it turned out to be pretty nice.  There were a few differences between here and the States though.  The sound wasn’t turned up very loud, so there were times that it was hard to hear the dialogue over the people crunching on sunflower seeds all around us.  Also, the movie was in English (with no subtitles) so during slow parts of the movie people just started talking to each other, since they didn’t really understand the dialogue.  Also, I am pretty sure a bug crawled on my arm halfway through the movie.  It was either that or a stray sunflower seed.  Next time I will bring my own flashlight just to make sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment