May 4, 2011

One Morning of Fun for $4.93

Nick is traveling in Myanmar this week, and we are missing him a lot.  He will only be gone 5 days, which actually seems like nothing when I think about the last time he traveled internationally.  Back in December, he was gone for 15 days on a trip to Thailand.  Now that the girls are both a little older, this week has been a breeze (so far!).

Today I decided to take Abigail on a little adventure to give her some quality one-on-one time.  It was a great way for me to make her feel special and give her a little extra attention that she sometimes misses out on without Nick around.  We spent the morning at one of my favorite places in town--the amusement park!  Now, there are a total of 5 old rickety rides at this amusement park, but it is still lots of fun.  Here we are in front of our apartment complex, ready to go.


Abigail always gets a lot of attention around town, but when she wears these sunglasses I hear twice as many people say, "How cute!"  When we got to the amusement park, the first thing we did was ride the merry-go-round.  The entire time we were riding, Abigail kept exclaiming, "This is fun!  Yay!"  I love how the simplest things can make kids so happy. 


Next up was the elephant slide.  Can you see the elephant?  The slide is the trunk.  Here she is, ready to slide!


Well, maybe not.  She decided she didn't really want to slide after all.  After much pleading, I decided to slide with her.  The last time I was on that slide, we had just moved overseas and I was pregnant with her!    


This was our favorite ride.  I don't know what to call it, but it is kind of like the Dumbo ride at Disney World.  Whenever I am on rides that lift me off the ground, I just pray that this one hundred year-old ride doesn't decide to break down today.  For some reason, we drew a crowd at this ride.  Trying to squeeze into the little seat behind Abigail was especially humbling with an audience watching intently.


After much excitement, we headed to the bus stop to wave down a bus.  Abigail really likes to wave down taxis and buses.  And the drivers all think it is pretty cute.   


On the bus, Abigail suddenly panicked and started saying, "Where's Mayah?  Where's Mayah?"  I quickly reminded her that Mayah was at home with our house helper.  I realized that this was the first time in a long time that I had taken Abigail anywhere without Mayah tagging along in the Ergo.  I realized that I need to be more intentional about taking her out more often, just the two of us.  I'm sure it would not be too hard to work into our schedules :)

Transportation:  $0.31
Amusement park rides:  $4.31
On-the-way-home snack (yogurt):  $0.31
  Fun memories:  priceless!


        

2 comments:

  1. I was just catching up on you guys!!! Your girls are BEAUTIFUL!!! glad you are doing well! where are you going to be staying when you come back to the US??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patience!! We will be splitting our time between CA and TN. Nick is going to start a Master's degree in CA so we will do a semester there.

    ReplyDelete