On Monday, I realized that it was already November 1st and I only have a few short weeks before Thanksgiving. So I bought a pumpkin at the market, chopped it up, steamed it in the rice cooker and blended it to make about 16 cups of pumpkin puree. Then I realized just how much pumpkin puree that is. I would have to make some type of pumpkin dessert every few days to use it all up by Thanksgiving! So I decided to make that my new goal.
It's funny that when we lived in the States, I never would have even made one pumpkin dessert, much less made my own pumpkin puree. I have never even bought canned pumpkin. I didn't even really like pumpkin pie, unless it had a huge serving of whipped cream on top. (I have this weird thing about desserts that have fruits and vegetables in them. Dessert to me means chocolate, not apples or pumpkins or bananas cooked into some sort of baked good. But now that I live overseas, these types of desserts have become a sort of comfort food to me. It just feels more like Thanksgiving when I can eat pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. Funny how things change like that.)
So the first thing I decided to make was this Pumpkin Pie Bread. Let me tell you, it is wonderful. I still usually like to add chocolate chips to things like pumpkin bread, banana bread and zucchini bread but it didn't even need the chocolate! And as you can tell by the previous paragraph, that is really saying something. Of course, the recipe called for 3 cups of sugar, so it was pretty rich without the chocolate :) Abigail has been eating some of this bread for breakfast in the mornings, and then she runs around all hyped up on sugar for an hour or two.
I have tons of more recipes I am going to try out to use up all of this pumpkin. Do any of you have a favorite pumpkin-dessert recipe? I could use some more ideas!
I'm sure that I will now gain 100 pounds in this next month, what with all the desserts I am going to make. But at least it will feel like Thanksgiving, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment